III Percent Patriots: Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Click the Image

Sep 3, 2011

Deputy Shot; Bullet-Proof Vest Saves Life

Yesterday morning I saw this on the local news.  Even though they caught one of the shooters, they did not show a pic of him or identify him in any way.

The initial news report said he was shot with a .223 round through the windshield.  Just goes to show you.  Use M855 to hit auto glass.

Deputy Shot; Bullet-Proof Vest Saves Life

The Harris County Sheriff's Office said the deputy pulled over a vehicle in the 2200 block of FM 1960 at Humble-Westfield Road at 2:40 a.m. for a traffic stop.

One of the four men inside the vehicle got out and fired four shots from a rifle, officials said.

The deputy was still in his car when he saw three bullets shoot through his windshield, investigators said.One of the rounds hit Deputy Alan Whitlock, 41, in his chest, but the Sheriff's Office said his bullet-proof vest stopped the bullet. Whitlock was transported to a hospital as a precaution. He suffered a facial cut from windshield glass.

"I don't feel like a hero. I was doing my job," Whitlock said. "Once it knocked the wind out of me, I just caught my breath and knew I was hit."Whitlock said it was hard to call his wife to tell her what happened."I'm just glad I was the one that got to call her and not somebody else," Whitlock said. "Once that happens, you realize how fragile life is.

"The men ran off into a nearby subdivision off Cobble Creek, deputies said, and one of them was caught a short time later."We have one detained and we are looking for three other suspects," said Thomas Gilliland of the Harris County Sheriff's Office

.For some neighborhood residents, it was an early morning wake-up call."The lights woke me up and I looked and I didn't know what was going on," Inge Radtke said.Radtke said she was told to take cover."(The officer) wanted me to get to a back room," she said. "I didn't know what was going on. I knew it had to be something pretty big.""It was very scary. I came outside and the SWAT team with guns were behind trees," Lisa Hooker said.

A second suspect was arrested Friday morning."This is a fine example of what our deputies go through every day and it's good he's alive," Gilliland said.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office said wearing a protective vest is optional when the heat index reaches 100 degrees. Whitlock said he will be keeping his on.

No comments:

Post a Comment