III Percent Patriots: Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Click the Image

Jun 8, 2012

Getting Old Really Sucks



UPDATE:  6/8/12

Thank you Craig, Brock & Miss V for the kind words.

Today thanks to time, the new anti-inflammatory pills and God, I can walk and move around.  Two full weeks I was not able to function as normal.

This is something I would only wish on an enemy at best.

Nasty shit it is.  Damn glad I'm over it.

*******

I remember family reunions.  Sitting around as a youngster, listening to the gray haired folks tell stories from their younger days.  Fascinated by their stories.

How many of you remember an old aunt or uncle having gout?

How many of you have experienced gout?

For the past 2 weeks I have the wonderful experience of gout.  And let me tell you, it sucks.

The Friday before last I spent about 4 hours in the garden.  That evening watching the boob tube, I had a slight pain in my ankle, like needing to crack your knuckle.  No biggie, my ankles pop & crack all the time.

Saturday morning at 5am my alarm went off.  I popped out of bed from those days of reveille or a trash can banging DI at basic (trainer for you young pukes).  Old habits die hard.

So up I jump and down I go.  Hit the floor with a loud "FUCK"

I manage to drag my ass up and to the bathroom to "try" the 3 S's.  My ankle is swelled a little but hurts like a MF.

I some how make it to work by 6.  By this time it aches all the way up to my hip.  Not that simple panging pain, but a deep bone ache. It was so bad I contemplated calling my boss and telling him to find someone to get their ass in.

So fast forward to yesterday and 4 days in bed.  For a week and a half I have been hobbling around with a serious limp.  As in I can't flex my ankle. Tylenol, Naproxen and Ibprofen don't cut this shit.  My ankle is swelled up so big that my toes can't touch the ground when my foot is flat and they look like Vienna sausages.

I can tolerate quite a bit of pain, but this is a deep bone aching pain that try as I might, there was no way to push through it.

I gave in to my wife's nagging a head to the doctor.  Nope, not broke or sprained.  You have GOUT.

He wrote me a anti-inflammatory for gout and vicoden for the pain.


The morale of the story is that if I needed to respond to something, I was screwed.

I was completely immobile.  No shuffle, maybe crawl or hop.  Another words, a sitting duck.

So there comes to mind that thing Bill's been harping on......LocalLocal,    Local

Because when you you really need help, folks 60 minutes away, hell 30 or even 15 minutes away are just too far.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I ain't got that yet. Hope you get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swelling is way down. At first I was icing it down. The doc said that makes it worse, I needed heat. Once I did that, man I saw a big difference.

      Today I can walk a little better. Have a little bit of flexing I can do, but I'm still hobbling.

      I just hope this shit goes away soon. I'm looking into old timey cures/treatments for it.

      Delete
  2. Doc told me I had that once about ten years ago. Woke up one morning and couldn't put any weight at all on my left ankle. Went away in a few days, and hasn't been back since. I know how you feel and it SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 08, 2012

    My husband gets that every now and then and it usually lays him up for a few days, and he NEVER misses work, so I know he's in a world of hurt.
    Hope you're feeling better.
    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 08, 2012

    Sorry to hear about your pains pansy. I had that and did a series of foot baths. See if anyone has a ionic foot bath they will let you pay them to use. Some health food stores have them. It works trust me and the nasty crap that comes out will blow your mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better soon, Rich.

    I have found that I have had to adapt my "What if..." plans in several ways to allow for the limitations of my 45 year-old and routinely-abused body.

    Kerodin
    III

    ReplyDelete